Sunday 15 April 2012

Things that make me sad and quite a lot angry

One more reason to dislike Olympics:



http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16547045



Extracts from this article:




Fast food giant McDonald's is to extend its sponsorship of the Olympic Games for another eight years until 2020.


McDonald's said the restaurant chain would use


 the extended partnership to introduce several 


new programmes "focused on balanced eating and 


fun play for children".


Am I missing something here?!


Luckily other people think like me; this is from the related 


article about obesity:


Prof Stephenson said allowing companies such as


 Coca-Cola and McDonalds to sponsor the London 


2012 Olympics "sends the wrong message."




I am wondering how many think like me...


I know a few people and friends who are upset about the whole Olympics thing....
It can be good for business like hotels and restaurants but the locals will feel like being in the midst of an invasion!




Here an extract from The Greenwich Phantom


http://www.thegreenwichphantom.co.uk/2011/05/olympic-closures/


Olympic Closures

And so it begins. I took one last stroll around the park on Sunday before much of it closed for a couple of months. The place was packed – it will be sorely missed – and though LOCOG are at pains to demonstrate that some of it remains open (a concession I’m pretty sure was only contrived because of opposition – just because protesters failed to stop the Olympics happening at all doesn’t mean that they didn’t force concessions and yes, I do believe that trees, soil and ruins have been saved – without any opposition I doubt organisers would have cared a fig) it’s the northern, most used, end that will be closed.
As you can see from Stephen’s photos, it’s an odd sight – a sunny day and a totally empty park. I’m not sure I agree with LOCOG’S assertion that “It will have little impact on visitors to the Park who will still be able to access all areas freely, except for a narrow strip of ground in certain places.”
I didn’t realise just how few tickets there are for the test events for ordinary Greenwich folk – I read 1000, which given that most people will be applying for at least 2, pretty much means there are 500 pairs available. I guess the rest go to VIPs, Olympics officials, young people and horse-community folk.



What were the other reasons for not liking the London 2012 Olympics:


What did they do to My Lovely Greenwich Park?!


What? How much?!? ( do you know how much the tickets for the events are?)


Here for you an example:

Saturday
04 August 2012
19:30-21:00
Swimming
Indicates a session in which a bronze, silver or gold medal will be won
Women's 50m Freestyle Final
Men's 1500m Freestyle Final
Women's 50m Freestyle Victory Ceremony
Women's 4 x 100m Medley Relay Final
Men's 1500m Freestyle Victory Ceremony
Men's 4 x 100m Medley Relay Final
Women's 4 x 100m Medley Relay Victory Ceremony
Men's 4 x 100m Medley Relay Victory Ceremony

Session Code: SW015
Aquatics Centre£450.00 - AA
£295.00 - A
£185.00 - B
£95.00 - C
£50.00 - D
Currently unavailable

You are all welcome to remind me of other reasons...


Meanwhile, on a positive note the Friends of Greenwich Park commitment and informative site is reassuring to read...


http://www.friendsofgreenwichpark.org.uk/index.php?page_id=59











“I alone cannot change the world, but I can


 cast a stone across the waters to create many


 ripples.” 



― Mother Teresa








Susannah


No comments:

Post a Comment