Saturday 14 April 2012

Mandala bliss

I am in a mandala bliss...so relaxed and chilled ! What a great experience is to make your very own mandala...wow!!!


We arrived at Jo's house, such a warm welcome!


We were in her very own and special Aladdin's cave!
 Mandalas and other paintings on the walls on the floor and just about anywhere, curious object and glass stained mobile...cosy and artistically messy home, so inspiring.


 Jo very gently suggested I look at patterns in some of her many mandala books and folders and told us what to do after that and I felt pretty much free to experiment and go with the flow...


I didn't feel any pressure, on the contrary felt liberated and quite daring! I didn't want to make a very complicated or detailed one so I started simple...


My first idea was to start with the centre being a sea shell, the sea, water element then going into the plant world and into the element of air, finishing with the cosmo...the Sun ( fire) the Moon...the Stars...well...I didn't have any more room on my canvas! 


I am not sure what Morgana's idea was but I am going to show you step by step what we did until the final and ever surprising and astonishing result!


I would like to say how very lovely Jo and all her family is and how very special our day has been; we will return again!
Her lovely husband with apron and a smile made us tea and lunch and more tea and sweets.


Thank you so much for a lovely day!






First I did a doodle 







Then added details ( I love spirals)






Morgana used the compass for circles...






Morgana changed idea after a while but parts of the original ideas remained:
























More circles...




For me...more spirals!




Morgana brave enough to start on her canvas now!




Patterns are getting more detailed and complicated now!



I started my canvas now!
I want to show this initial idea and after all the paint went on top I 'lost' my initial sea shell...and I am still not pleased with this!


But I guess this was my lesson...to let go and trust...




Meanwhile Morgana adds more patterns...




I love Morgana's patterns!



This is the fiddly bit now...adding colour...starting 'painting' with acrylics. first the outlines...














There is my drawing on canvas...


















And then the outlines






Then, lunch was served: Soba noodles with shitake mushrooms, vegetables, burdock and tofu yummy yum yum...delicious...




What a treat!


Now back to the mandala...














The glitter colour adds dimension...








Now I like it a lot but the middle...the sea shell is making me a bit frustrated...but I am still pleased with my results...after all it is my first real mandala ( I am sure I made others around 20 years ago when I first discovered them...but probably traced them !!)




And this is Morgana's:






















































Meanwhile Jo was working on her painting:








http://mandalajo.webs.com/


Well, now you hopefully understand why we are into mandalas and we are for sure going to make many more!


xxx
Susannah

No comments:

Post a Comment