Sunday 3 July 2011

To market , to market...

Market atmosphere is just so great, with busy, buzzy people, selling and the browsers looking ; the regulars, who know all the stalls and the best produce, the ones looking for good bargains, the simply curious, the tourists...I go for the simple reason that I just love hanging around markets and in the past I had the pleasure to work at a shop which had a stall in front of it, in the middle of super trendy and alternative Spitalfields Market...it was still not as popular as now, never as busy as Camden Market...but more relaxed and original: that was in 1998!

Markets have a vibrant positive energy, a gathering energy, which I simply adore!

I go to different markets on different days and locations; on Sundays I go to the Blackheath Farmer's market: there I usually get some salad, greens, like kale or sprouting broccoli, I sometimes get flowers or a little plant for my front porch, I always get focaccia bread and pretzel and cheese straws, all from different bakeries! Sometimes I get apples and apple juice. So Monday Morgana gets pretty much the same lunch!

On Wednesdays I go to Greenwich Market; there I go always to this lovely lady who sells fresh vegetables from Kent. She also sells lovely households and kitchen objects such as knitted animals, tea towels, cups and vases, mainly from friend's houses or home made patchwork rugs and cushions, baskets, etc...I always go to Steve's shop, the health food shop, to get little bits that I can't get with my weekly supermarket delivery - a bit like a top-up shopping.
I usually sit down to have lunch in the middle of the market at a table near the little coffee van, I sometimes get a cup of tea from there; my lunch is sometimes brown rice and vegetable curry from the heath food shop, or veggie sushi, or I bring my own hummous and crudites from home...

On Saturdays I go to various markets and not as regularly...it kind of depends on my mood! So sometimes I choos Borough Market, sometimes Greenwich market, both of which I need to go very early to or otherwise will be 'crushed' by people! Occasionally I visit Dulwich Farmer's Market, which is on the 4th Sunday of each month. Occasionally I go to Manor House Park to their Farmer's Market each first Saturday of the month.

On my last visit to Dulwich I met EvaGreek and had the most amazing stuffed baked tomato with rice and herbs and potatoes and these biscuits which were the closest thing to the sesame biscuits my Auntie makes in Italy, it is a Sicilian recipe, surely similar to the Greek one! So I felt at home!



More info on Dulwich market here:

http://www.weareccfm.com/Dulwich.html



What a choice out there! What a delight!

So now enjoy my snaps that I took from time to time as a market journal!







It was the hottest day of the year in Blackheath, London, and these chillies inspired me to make a salsa for tortilla chips!








sometimes I go by bike and sometimes I walk to the market!
today was too hot for bikes!



fresh herbs are essential in my cooking, my favourite is coriander, but I have basil on my mozzarella and tomato salad and rosemary on my oven potatoes, oregano on my greek salad and parsley on my potatoe salad with chives...yum


This is where I get my salads...they are so fresh...Morgana loves munching on sorrel as we walk amongst the stalls...

My favourite of the month!

And this is the lovely wild herb man!
today they sold edible flowers too!


which I put a few hours later in my salad at Svetlana's house, for all the guests to have!
How pretty ( and how delicious!)





Then we got some apples...



Morgana's favourite apple juice!
Then off to Exeter Street Bakery stall...for authentic taste of Italian bread...

If I don't go early, focaccia will be all gone!

O che bei fiori!

Morgana's crying Mummy pleeeeeeeease can I have a pretzel?!



And of course I have to get two, one for eating on the way back home, and one for her lunch at school in the morning!

This is Sunday's Blackheath market...for the other markets I will edit a new post!
It is Sunday now and it is 10.20 and I am getting slightly worried about missing the focaccia, so off to market now!
Hope to meet you there!
Susannah



No comments:

Post a Comment