Sunday 12 June 2011

Magic of wood (n2)

Wood is magic, for me the best material to have around...
I only have wooden furniture, I have special unique pieces that some local Essex carpenters made with reclaimed oak timber...I went to Battlesbridge antique centre to find unusual things, I got a little wine rack cabinet made out of wood from a boat; now I use this more for candles and incense!
Our kitchen table is hand made, and it is my own design, and our wardrobe too comes from local Essex small company, hand made.
Morgana's bed was a junior size bed hand made by a man and a woman, he did the carpenter's work and she did the artistic work, painting and stenciling, now this bed is loved by our little friend Ingrid...and Morgana sleeps like us on a Futon on the floor ...Japanese style!
Morgana' s book shelf and chest of drawers is also from the same place, different carpenters and different artist who under my request she painted it a distressed white with blue flowers.
I also have little treasures made of wood...bowls knives spoons and a mini chopping board made with olive wood, a bowl in which I put my own pot pourri, little wooden mushrooms which I use for my nature table in the autumn time...


They are so cute!

I love being surrounded by wood and of course this is why I love the woods, forests and trees. We are living in a really nice place in London, Blackheath is very leafy and we are so lucky to be so close to wonderful woods like Oxleas Woods, Dulwich, Abbey Woods...etc...

Objects big or small made of wood, and even wooden houses...give me the sense of life being transformed and wood has a breathing quality adding a  natural organic feeling to my immediate environment.

Morgana had mostly wooden toys as a young child; they don't only last longer, but have a magical quality. The fact thet they are hand made makes them unique and special. Wooden onjects created by our hands carry the creative energy with them...

There are so many companies now that make hand made toys, but I always search for small independent ones, of course, even better is that I learn to make them myself. Perhaps one day I will try and learn woodwork...but for now I rely on Camphill, Myriad, which sells genuine handcrafted wooden animals, blocks, and so much more! Check this out on
http://www.myriadonline.co.uk/ostheimer-wooden-toys-figures-and-sets.php


Trees is were wood comes from and I love trees; Trees 'speak' to me, often call me and I can easily sit or stand by a tree transfixed. They relax me, they give me energy. I cannot imagine a life without trees....Obviously I cannot find photos of me climbing trees, but I have strong memories of doing so and always having my hands brown and sticky! But I have recorded my daughter Morgana's journey of discovery of trees from toddler days to now!

have a look!

This is Morgana in various moments from around 2004 to now, some photos may not be absolutely correct in chronological order!









































This tree is near our house!


This is a tree in Bergamo...I don't know where Morgana is!


Touching moss is my favourite thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment