Saturday 31 March 2012

Hot Cross Mum ( me)

I am so, so cross!







Last week I took some children I look after to the Playground in Manor House Park.
A woman sat in the boat with another younger woman, taking all the boats back space ( the boat has a sitting bench inside, nevertheless children like to play in the boat); she was smoking. Normally an adult smoking in the playground would stand, perhaps slightly apart,away from children playing, or on a seat by the fence... or the other side of the gate/fence.This woman was smoking in the boat and there were many children around and near her playing- not her children. She had a baby in a pram, the pram near the boat. I asked the woman politely if she could please go and smoke away from the boat and the children: her answer was negative and she was indeed very rude. I could not believe that she thought it was normal behaviour not to be aware of the fact that she was smoking in the children playground, right near the children and taking up play space that belongs to the children ( this goes to the very young adults or teenagers who sit or stand on the swings )This woman was arrogant, ignorant, rude, stupid and much more. I got cross and told her  that her behaviour and her response to my simple request was wrong and that she lacked respect. Respect for others, for the children's space and the children's health and ultimately herself.
I can't believe that there are people like this in our society. Where is common sense gone?


I was so, so cross!


I still am!

I believe that smoking in select outdoor spaces, such as parks and playgrounds, can be detrimental to both our health and the health of the environment. Outdoor smoking results in outdoor tobacco smoke, which poses the same health risks as second-hand tobacco smoke. In particular, the Society is concerned about children being exposed to adult smoking behaviour in youth-friendly areas like playgrounds. Not only does it teach children that smoking is acceptable, it exposes them, unnecessarily, to the health risks of second-hand smoke. Outdoor smoking also has a negative impact on the environment with respect to smoking related litter and it is a source of fire in our provincial parks.


Going to the park for a walk/ taking the children to play, for a picnic, feed the ducks, etc...strolling through the park, especially
in urban areas, such as London, should be for me a way to get away from car fumes and city pollution. Parks are urban spaces where you are in contact with Mother Nature. It is an insult to smoke in a Park. Surely one comes to the park for 'fresh air'; to be near trees and green grass, to breathe a bit of oxygen!
I can't believe that smoking is still allowed in Parks, especially Royal Parks. I do not believe that there is no rule about smoking in children's playgrounds! Please, dear government ban it NOW!


And then this morning I read from the BBC news:




http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17551568 




ok it is about smoking in homes and cars...but surely I am not mad thinking what I think, surely there are others out there who are fed up with people smoking everywhere...!??




I went to websites and saw many comments similar to mine, that is reassuring! One of the things I hate is walking past pubs and cafes on the street and people are sitting there smoking like is their last day on Earth...
Even when instead of sitting indoors I like to sit outside or in the back garden of a cafe with or without children, I can't!
This is a comment I found from a chat site about banning smoking in Parks:




Absolutely, the problem is now, is that non-smokers are forced indoors. No longer can we sit outside a cafe and eat al fresco, as there is always a desperate smoker puffing away nearby...






http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9187701.Should_we_ban_smoking_in_parks_/




Last year in Wales people said something! read on:


http://www.walesonline.co.uk/showbiz-and-lifestyle/health-and-beauty-in-wales/2010/09/21/call-for-public-play-area-smoking-ban-91466-27307378/ 




So, I signed this petition that I found on the net: maybe you could sign it too!


http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/19030




That is the least I can do for now...






No comments:

Post a Comment