Saturday 6 August 2011

Pasta al forno

It's the weekend and this is a dish that smells like 'home' : Italy!
As you know I am half Italian so this is what I sometimes crave!
I am not always a pasta person, I like risottos or salads, but this dish is a great piatto unico and it is so simple and humble it should be respected even more!
Jamie Oliver is right to say that this dish is a typical family gathering dish and could be prep in advance and eaten the day after just at room temperature. You also find this dish in most 'tavola calda' the equivalent of a greasy spoon.
Each family has their own recipe, some put prosciutto or peas, some put aubergines...in the north the sauce in enriched with besciamella ( or in the winter), in the south, egg and breadrumbs and anchovies...
some put italian sausage ( spicy) some put just the best and freshest mozzarella and basil from their garden and that is just so basic and simple and this is what I am doing...

Check Jaimie's recipe for quantities and method of cooking, I will just add my pictures!


The best ingredients only!












Pomodoro, mozzarella, parmigiano e basilico: the most basic and amazing combination! They just 'marry' pasta!


I do like this pasta that is named after me ( my family surname! but I am afraid no connection!)



Let's start with the sauce!


















The best oil is used!








Then chop the mozzarella cheese in little 'dadini'






stir the sauce...


go to the front porch to pick some fresh basil...



wash it...


add it to the sauce...



mmmmmmmmm!...




add pasta to the boiling water...












grate the parmigiano cheese:



check the pasta! Yes...it is 'al dente'!

















drain...now things speed up a bit! ( did I mention I put the oven on earlier on 200

then...


now the layering game!


first layer: tomato sauce



then



pasta


then...



cheese!


then ...same again


tomato, pasta and cheese

























































very cheesy!








in the oven for 25 minutes...now the washing up ( a good chef clears up surfaces and sink...










a glass of vino...

and wait...
until...




dinner's ready



xxx

Susannah


Buon Appetito!

It's easy!  but when I don't feel like cooking I go to Jaimie Italian restaurant in Canary Wharf!
From basic to sophisticated rustic ( the burrata is super yummy and so are the deep fried courgette flowers)
http://www.jamieoliver.com/italian/canary-wharf


have a look at the recipe for pasta al forno


http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/baked-pasta-with-tomatoes-mozzarella

No comments:

Post a Comment