Sunday 12 December 2010

Traditional Christmas

I like a traditional Christmas. The tree decoratad with old fashioned natural and simple decoration- but no tinsel please!- I usually do this closer to Christmas Eve, maybe at around the Winter Solstice...- we hang the stockings...and yes my daughter aged 9 1/2 still believes in Santa and the spirit of Christmas is kept very much alive...I like going to church carols by candlelight...in fact...I like to put so many candles at Christmas all around the house...I get night lights and golden trays and put all the lights out...What I miss is a fireplace...I dream of a house with a big lounge and a sofa in front of the fire! Roasting chestnuts....the only thing I don't have a plate for is mince pies...sorry but two decades of Italian delicacies have made my plate very sensitive to bad taste! Oh the other thing is we don't do the turkey thing ....we used to cook fish or chicken but now I am back to being a Vegetarian...my husband doesn't seem to mund a veggie roast...but I personally like scrambeld eggs on toasted bagels on Christmas morning ( brunch) used to put smoked salmon but will have to find a delicious posh veggie alternative now! My husband likes a glass of prosecco at 11 am!
In Italy as a child I remeber we used to keep awake on the Eve and play bingo ( Tombola) and wait for the midnight so we could all open the presents....I was always so tired...but happy...it is much nicer to open them on Christmas morning because isn't it when Santa brings the gifts...any time between midnight and 5 am?!
On Christmas eve we watch the Muppets Christmas Carol film with Micheal Cane as Scrooge...bah humbugging all the way to the end as we munch on an early simple supper of best quality cheese ( cheddar, mature, smoked cheese, ble cheese...crusty bread from farmer's market and lovely pickled onions)...I like that...we have been doing this since my daughter was two or three...don't remember really...but it is at least the 5th or 6th time we watched it now!
prioor to all this obviously there is the Christmas shopping...I don't like shopping, I love brousing in pretty markets, but for essentials like coats/jumpers, socks and ....secret gifts I go on line, usually John Lewis...the traditional german style markets are lovely..I liked the one by the Royal Festival Hall yesterday...lovely traditional and family friendly atmosphere....I dilsike Oxford Street and do my best to avoid it!
The traditional German Christmas market is open from 10am – 10pm, Friday 19th November 2010 – Monday 3rd January 2011. Entry to the market is free. Southbank by Roayal festival hall and London Eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment